Xerocon is only a week away… Are you ready for it?
Tina here! Brace yourself for some unbridled enthusiasm, because it’s the most wonderful time of the year and I am genuinely excited. If you were among the lucky few to snag a ticket to this year’s sold-out Xerocon in Austin, you are in for quite a treat. This year will be jam-packed with amazing speakers, networking opportunities galore, and, of course… BBQ! Since Xerocon is being held in the (unofficial) barbecue capital of the world, I’ll be carrying sauce in my purse in the event of a brisket emergency.
If you haven’t taken a glance at the schedule, I will break it down for you.
Tuesday, December 5th- Precon: The Adventure Begins
If you are a new Xero user or are ready to build your dream practice, you can’t miss this. There are several tracks going on at once, so rest assured that there is going to be something perfectly suited for you. Here are a few of the sessions on Tuesday:
- Ryan Watson is teaching BookKeeperX, a class that will help you become the tech guru in the office. Want to develop your automation skills? This is the class for you.
- Need to get Xero Certified? Treva Dean, Xero’s education guru, will be leading the charge in her Xero Certification class. This class is a must if you are new to Xero and want to learn the ins and outs, before the upcoming busy season.
- Have you been with Xero for a while and ready to take your practice to the next level? Dave Emmerman is teaching my favorite class ever- Accelerate. This hands-on session will give you the opportunity to work on, rather than in, your business. I’ve led lots of Accelerate programs, and each time I walk away with some newfound knowledge!
If you are at all on the fence about going to Precon- just go for it! Here is the link to register.
Don’t forget the Welcome Event at 5:30pm. It really lives up to its name and serves its purpose. There will be so many enthusiastic, intelligent peers there- it is not to be missed!
Weds, December 6th- Xerocon: Day 1
Keri Gohman will be opening the day with her Keynote speech, followed by Xero CEO Rod Drury, who will be speaking about his two favorite topics- machine learning and automation. Seriously, they are like the dynamic duo. #fangirl
Wednesday will be rounded out with product updates, industry trends, and keynote speeches galore! If you like to keep pace with cutting edge developments in accounting, Xero, or tech, you are going to love this day!
Thurs, December 7th- Xerocon: Day 2
Thursday begins with a special breakfast event- Inclusion as Innovation. This really piqued my interest because building a culture of inclusivity is what we are all about at Accountingprose. It’s an early event (7:15am, eek!) but I am going to spring out of bed to head to this breakfast.
The rest of the day is all about inspiring us! From the looks of it, there are some heavy hitters on the lineup! I personally cannot wait to see Marcus Lemonis from CNBC’s investment-based reality show “The Profit” talk about the power of relationship building or to have the Xero Ambassador team teach us to be cherished advisors.
The day ends with a farewell dance-a-thon (granted, I might be the only entrant!) at Brazos. I better dig up my cowboy boots and hat, so I can shake a leg in style!
Before you make the journey to Xerocon, here are a few tips to consider:
- Download the app! Seriously! It helps you get connected to everything and everyone. iPhone and Android
- Don’t be shy! Find someone you have never met and introduce yourself! This event is about meeting like minded #XeroNerds! A lot of people are stepping out of their shells and putting on their perhaps uncomfortable, less-worn-in extravert suits. It’s a uniquely welcoming environment to discuss topics that bore most of our friends and family
- If you don’t use it, you lose it! Be sure that you take time to reflect on all that you have learned. Come up with a plan to put your knowledge into action. Be sure that you use this event to grow your practice. I keep a notebook on me so I don’t forget a single morsel of useful information and can begin freeform brainstorming how I can apply these lessons to my business.
- Visit the App Partners. The App Partners are there to not only showcase their tech, but to listen to us! A great example of this is when I met Yoseph West of Hubdoc at my first Xerocon… He sat down and we chatted about the product over an ice cream cone. After learning about the strategic advantages of their product, as well as their passion for their customers, I knew instantly that I needed to have a partner like Hubdoc on my side!
- Wear comfy shoes. This one I learned the hard way! At Xerocon San Francisco, last year, I wore the cutest pair of patent leather heels. At the end of the day, I had to hobble back to my room. Learn from my mistake! Wear something that you are comfortable walking –maybe even dancing– in!
Reflections: 2016 –> 2017
As I ready myself for Xerocon 2017, I can’t help but think about how much fun I had learning and networking last year. Every year I go with no expectations and am totally blown away. Though I’ve studied the schedule and have tried to uncover top secret info (no dice!), I am sure that this year will be something totally unexpected. Here are a few of my favorite pictures from last year. Be sure to check out the whole album here.